from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, May 15, 2021

A Momentous Event

I shall pause today from writing about my recent trip to Mexico, to report on something that happened yesterday.  Under normal circumstances it would seem mundane, but given what we have been through for the last year, it felt rather momentous for me.  I dined inside a restaurant with friends for the first time since March of 2020!

While I was in Mexico the CDC said that people who are fully vaccinated did not need to wear masks outside except for the most crowded situations.  The streets of Mexico City tend to be quite crowded, so, super-cautious person that I am, I continued to wear a mask when I was walking around the city.  Then a couple days ago, the CDC announced that those of us who are vaccinated need not use masks in most indoor situations.  As you know from my recent posts, while in Mexico I only ate at restaurants that had outdoor seating or which were very open.

Yesterday I got together with two high school friends... Gayle and Duffy.  You may remember them from earlier posts.  Gayle, like me, still lives here in Ohio in the house in which she grew up.  Duffy splits his time between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Miami Beach, Florida, but he makes frequent visits back home to Ohio.  Duffy was here in town, so we made plans to get together before his return to Florida.  We went to a nearby Italian restaurant.  It was perhaps warm enough yesterday to eat outside, but they had not yet opened their outdoor dining area.  So inside we went!  


It felt very liberating, and I am looking forward to indoor socializing with other friends in the coming weeks!  And Gayle, Duffy and I are looking forward to our 50th (plus one year due to cancellation last summer) high school reunion in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment