city at night

city at night

Monday, May 17, 2021

Our Favorite Place

 On my last weekend in Mexico City, Alejandro and I had dinner at our favorite restaurant, "Angelopolitano".   I had been there a couple weeks earlier for lunch and wrote about my visit here.  However, it had been over a year since Alejandro had been there.  We were warmly greeted by the hostess who remembered us from our frequent visits in the past.  One of the waiters who had been our server a number of times, made a point of coming out and saying hello.  While we were dining, Gerardo Quezadas, the owner and chef of the restaurant, arrived and chatted with us for awhile.  It seemed like a homecoming.

As always the service and food were fantastic at this wonderful restaurant that specializes in the traditional recipes of the state of Puebla... a state where many of the classic recipes of Mexican cuisine originated.  

To drink we ordered a refreshing "agua" made from strawberries and ginger.



We both ordered soup as a starter.  Alejandro had the cream of "poblano" and I had fava bean soup.



For my main course I ordered something new on the menu... "manchamanteles".  The word translates as "tablecloth stainer".  It is a delicious variety of "mole" made with fruit.  Here it was served over chicken breast.  I have had "manchamanteles" a number of times at other restaurants, but this was probably the best I have had.



I previously wrote that one of my favorite dishes at "Angelopolitano" is "champandongo" which traditionally consists of chicken between layers of tortillas and covered with "mole".  Chef Gerardo has added several variations to "champandongo" to the menu.  Alejandro ordered one of those variations with "cochinita pibil" (a shredded pork dish from Yucatán) instead of chicken.  I had a taste, and it was delicious.

Even though our bellies were full, we ordered dessert.  We both ordered "roles", mine filled with Nutella and Alejandro's filled with chocolate.  We figured that they would be similar in size to a cinnamon roll.  Imagine our surprise when we saw that each "role" was the size of a small loaf of bread!  We each ate a slice, but the remainder went back to Alejandro's family.


 

It was a memorable dining experience as my trip to Mexico drew to a close!

(photo taken by our waitress)


No comments:

Post a Comment