city at night

city at night

Thursday, May 27, 2021

My Mexican Purchase

 I have an abundance of Mexican handicrafts in my home, but I still cannot resist buying more.  On my latest trip I returned to "La Ciudadela", one of the city's largest handicraft markets.  It covers an entire block and has over 200 stalls.


Admittedly, a lot of the stuff for sale there is tacky, tourist junk.  But if you know where to look, there is also some good quality merchandise.  One stall which I like sells copper items from the town of Santa Clara del Cobre in the state of Michoacán.  Since pre-Hispanic times the region was known for its coppersmiths, and today more than 80% of the town's population is involved in the trade.  The coppersmiths produce utilitarian items as well as decorative pieces.

In past visits I have stopped at this stall and purchased a number of small copper vases for myself and as gifts for friends.  On this trip I had plenty of room in my luggage, and I had a spot at home in mind, so I bought a larger piece... a very nice vase intricately etched with a floral design.  It is now sitting on top of a shelf in my living room.



No comments:

Post a Comment