from airplane

from airplane

Monday, May 10, 2021

The Wings of Mexico

For a number of years there was a sculpture which stood in the median strip of the busy boulevard Paseo de la Reforma near the Anthropology Museum.  The sculpture consisted of two outspread bronze wings, attached to a steel frame.  There were steps in front of the wings so that people could look pose for a photo in front of the sculpture.  Although there is a constant stream of tourists coming and going from the museum, it was not the best location for the sculpture.  Between people waiting to cross the boulevard and those waiting to take a picture, the narrow median was always jammed with people.  

On my latest visit to the museum, I noticed that the sculpture was no longer in its usual location. Several days later I saw that the sculpture had been to a different location along the Paseo de la Reforma near the Independence Monument.  Although the location does not get as many tourists, it is much less cramped.


 A sign next to the sculpture provided some information that I did not previously know.  It is called "las Alas de México" (the Wings of Mexico) and it was sculpted by Jorge Marín.  The sculpture has traveled around the world, the Marín has made copies that are permanently displayed in twelve other cities on three continents.


Marín has said that the sculpture is complete only when people interact with it.  In spite of the many times that I passed the wings in its previous location, I never had my picture taken in front of it.  This time I asked a Mexican couple if they would take a photo of me, and they kindly complied.  So... even though I am masked here... I finally have my picture in front of the Wings of Mexico.




2 comments:

  1. I see you had a victorious, safe and soul restoring visit to Mexico City! I know you'll be sad to leave, but August isn't so far in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am back on my normal schedule of going to Mexico. August will be here before you know it.

      Delete