from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Tragedy in Mexico City

 

(image taken from the web)

The news of the tragic Metro crash in Mexico City has apparently been covered by the news outlets all over the world.  When I woke up this morning a short time ago I had several emails...  one from my English cousin, and a couple from friends in Ohio and Wisconsin... asking to make sure that we (my "Mexican family" and I) are OK.  So, even though you, my readers, probably have already read about the event, I figured that I should write about it here on the blog.

Late last night an elevated section of the Metro collapsed sending a train car down onto the boulevard below.  (The Metro is Mexico City's subway system, but away from the city center  stretches of many of the lines run above ground or are even elevated.)  The event occurred in the district of Tlahuac which is located on the far south side of the city... across town from where I am at the moment at Alejandro's house.  At least 23 people have died, and there are around 70 people injured, some of them in serious condition.  That Metro route is the newest of the lines.  When it was constructed there were stories of shoddy construction, and repairs had to be done shortly after its completion.  There is also the possibility that the 2017 earthquake might have done structural damage that went undetected.

2 comments:

  1. I was saddened to hear of the tragedy. There is so much infrastructure work to be done worldwide, but so many resources are available for weaponry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if this tragedy spurred the government to better maintain the infrastructure, but that is probably wishful thinking.

      Delete