from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, May 2, 2021

A New Place to Eat

In the year since I was last in Mexico, a number of restaurants have closed, most likely victims of the pandemic. However, a number of new places have opened, and one just down the street from me which looked promising is "El Convento".


"El Convento" is a "churrería", a place that sells "churros", the fried dough desserts that originated in Spain and are traditionally served with hot chocolate.  (Think of a doughnut in the shape of a long, thin cylinder.)  This recently opened place is a branch of an establishment that has been in business for 40 years in the neighborhood of San Angel near the Carmen Convent (hence the name). 

Fortunately they sell more than "churros".  They also have a selection of "tortas".  


I love "tortas".  They are a loaded Mexican sandwich served on a roll.  There is a little place near Alejandro's house that sells "tortas".  The "tortas" are greasy, and the shop would never pass a health inspection back home.  But those sandwiches are so tasty, and (knock on wood) I have never become sick from them.

"El Convento" looked much more hygienic... the kind of place where more affluent people would go for their "tortas".  I decided to try it out.  I ordered the "torta vienesa"... the "Vienese torta" with a pork cutlet, ham and cheese.  All of the "tortas" also include beans, mayonaise, tomato, avocado, onions and strips of jalapeños.  As I said, these sandwiches are loaded!


This "torta" was a bit smaller and not as greasy as what I get at the place near Alejandro's home.  But boy, was it delicious!  I would go so far as to say that it was the best "torta" I have ever had. 

Since I was at a "churrería" I might as well order some "churros" for dessert.  An order of four comes with a cup of hot chocolate.  I paid a few extra pesos for some "cajeta" (Mexican caramel) for dipping.



I returned to "El Convento" Friday evening with Alejandro for supper. He was in agreement.  He too thought that the "tortas" are truly excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment