from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, May 13, 2021

The Trip Back Home

Yesterday I flew home from Mexico City.  Alejandro drove me to the airport, but, since he is not yet fully vaccinated, I told him just to drop me off rather than coming into the terminal, having breakfast with me, and seeing me off.  The airport was noticeably less crowded, although my flight to Washington Dulles Airport was full.  EVERYONE in the airport was wearing their mask correctly.


Looking out my window before the plane pulls away from the gate at Mexico City Airport



Taking off






We flew over the abandoned site of the proposed new international airport for Mexico City.  The project was begun during the last Presidential administration amid accusations of corruption and environmental damage.  The new President  halted the project, and began building a new airport in a different location.



Flying over the rugged Mexican landscape



The flight path took us across the Gulf of Mexico and somewhere (perhaps over the Florida panhandle?) we came to the coast of the United States.




Flying over suburban Washington as we descend toward Dulles Airport


Originally I was supposed to fly through Chicago O'Hare, but my itinerary was changed.  I had only flown through Dulles once on a flight home from Spain.  I thought that Dulles was chaotic and disorganized, so I have always avoided flying through there ever since.  

Although it was a long walk from the gate to immigration and customs, there was no line at all.  The officer at immigration did not ask me any questions at all.  Passing through security again was equally easy, and I was not required to take off my shoes or remove my laptop from my backpack.  Walking down the concourse, there were very few people.  My layover was long enough to make use of the United Club.  There were very few people there.  It was so empty that I felt comfortable taking off my mask and taking advantage of the free food that is offered there.  I went into a separate area of the Club and worked on my laptop until it was time to go to my gate.

As I left the secluded computer area, it was as if someone had turned on a switch.  Suddenly, the United Club was full of people.  Going out onto the concourse, it was like night and day.  It was jammed with travelers.  I must have arrived at the airport at a slow time.  As crowded as it was, I will say that almost all of the people were wearing their facemasks correctly... unlike Houston Airport on my flight down to Mexico.  There even one of the employees at the United desk was pulling her mask down every she spoke to someone.

My flight to Cleveland was a short one hour trip, but that flight was also packed.

Taking off from Washington Dulles




I knew that we were over Ohio when I could see the coastline of Lake Erie and the steam from the Perry Nuclear Power Plant which is located about forty miles to the east of Cleveland.


Over the east side of Cleveland

The cluster of buildings is the University Circle neighborhood, home of the Cleveland Museum of Art which I have featured on so many of my blog posts.



Zooming in for a view of downtown Cleveland

The airport that you see along the lakeshore to the upper right is Burke Lakefront Airport, a business airport with limited cargo and passenger shuttle flights.



The plane circled to the south for its approach to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport of the southwest side of the city.

As we descended we passed right over my hometown of Olmsted Falls.



 I am now at home.  However, I still have a number of posts to write about my time in Mexico City.

No comments:

Post a Comment