city at night

city at night

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Vaccination Center

 As I have said before, the apartment that I rent is just a block away from the Mexico City World Trade Center.  I noticed that there were quite a few people outside the center, and I could hear a loud but garbled voice making announcements over a blowhorn.  I wasn't sure what was going on until I walked by and saw that it is serving as a vaccination center.

Previously the vaccines were being strictly distributed according age group and the "alcaldía" or borough in which a person lives.  People were assigned a date and a location within their borough to receive their shots.  Vaccination appointments are now being given to those between the ages of 18 and 30.

It appears that in an effort to get more people vaccinated the procedure is loosening up a bit. They are trying to bring in anyone who missed their appointed time during the previous months.  According to the sign by the doors at the World Trade Center anyone over the age of thirty from ANY part of the city can come here for their first shot.


The sign to the right says that they are also giving Astra Zeneca to people between the ages of 40 and 49 from the borough of  Alvaro Obregón who need their second shot.  

Mexico has been giving whichever vaccines they have been able to obtain... Pfizer, Astra Zeneca, Sputnik V from Russia, and Cansino and Sinovac from China.  My friend Alejandro, as well as his father, received both shots of Sputnik earlier this year.  However, there have been production problems in Russia, and the supply of Sputnik vaccine in Mexico has dried up.  There are people here who received a first shot of Sputnik who have not been able to get their second shot.  The Mexican government has announced that those people will receive Astra Zeneca instead.  So I suspect that group from Alvaro Obregón who are being served here must be among those people.

At the moment approximately 47% of the Mexican people have received their first shot, and about 25% are fully vaccinated.  Fortunately, Alejandro, his father and his sister are all in that 25%.

4 comments:

  1. The residents of SMA are anxiously awaiting the Brigade to come to vaccinate those from 18-29 and those over that age who need their second shot. It has always been Pfizer here, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit upset when Alejandro and his father received Sputnik, but subsequent studies fortunately have found it just as effective as the others, even against Delta. I'm just glad they did not receive the Chinese vaccines.

      Delete
  2. It sounds as if we will be eligible for boosters 8 months after we completed our two shots. That puts Wes and me in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that puts me in November. Hope I will be able to get it as soon as I return from my next trip to Mexico the day before Thanksgiving

      Delete