from airplane

from airplane

Friday, August 6, 2021

The Sleepy Traveler Flies to Mexico

Yesterday I flew back to Mexico City.  I didn't get any sleep the night before, and I had to get up in the wee hours of the morning since my flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00 A.M.  
Fortunately everything went smoothly.  As I mentioned previously, I had first class / business class tickets that I had purchased at a very good price prior to the pandemic... so at least this sleep-deprived traveler was able to make the journey in comfort.

My flight to Chicago for the first leg of the trip was in one of those small, commuter jets.  It was, however, a newer model that had a first class section and even storage big enough for  regular-sized carryon bags.  (My carryon was a backpack that fit under my seat.)  The boarding process went quickly, and we pulled away from the gate ahead of time.


 We departed Cleveland in the pre-dawn light.



In less than an hour the lakeshore of Chicago was below us.


My two hour layover in Chicago was even longer because of our early arrival.  The gate from which my flight for Mexico City was leaving was very close to the United Club lounge.  Since my first class international ticket entitled me to use their lounge I took advantage of that perk.  I spent my two hours in a comfortable arm chair, reading a book, and occasionally nodding off for a few minutes.

The flight to Mexico City left a few minutes late.  (One of the passengers really, really, had to use the restroom.)  It was a comfortable journey, although the four hour trip seemed long compared to the much shorter hop from Houston to Mexico City that I usually take.

Finally we approached the mega-metropolis that is Mexico City.



 The descent to Mexico City International Airport always seems to fly over the World Trade Center (in the center of the photo).  The apartment that I rent is just a couple blocks from it.


Prepare for landing.



Now I am at the home of Alejandro's family, and I will spend the next several days here before I go to the apartment that I rent.  And I got a very good night's sleep last night!

2 comments:

  1. Great news! Stay masked and safe..........Enjoy your time with Alejandro and his family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will wear an N95 mask (supposedly the very best kind) every time I leave Alejandro's house or my apartment.
      When Alejandro and I went out to walk the dog yesterday I would say that the majority of people are wearing masks even outside. Of course there will also be some who don't take it seriously.

      Delete