city at night

city at night

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Christmas in August

As I have mentioned before, I have an apartment that I rent in Mexico City.  I have plenty of clothes there, as well as some clothes at the home of Alejandro's family.  Generally I am able to travel to Mexico with nothing more than a carryon suitcase (filled with gifts for Alejandro and his family) and a backpack.  Even though it is not Christmas, Three Kings' Day, Easter, or anyone's birthday, I had quite a few gifts this time.  (The boxes of N-95 facemasks that I bought for everyone took up quite a bit of room in themselves.)  So I needed to take a piece of checked luggage.  Usually upon arrival at Mexico City airport there is no inspection of luggage, but I have often wondered what a customs officer would say if he / she saw my suitcase filled with presents.  Would I have to pay duty for bringing in an excess of foreign merchandise not for my own personal use?

When I arrived in Mexico City on Thursday I was able to breeze through immigration.  Sometimes I have had to wait for nearly an hour in a long, long line snaking through the arrival hall.  The quick pass through immigration this time was surely due to reduced tourism.  Even though my flight was full, the majority of passengers were Mexican citizens, and foreign tourists go through a separate line.

Immigration was a piece of cake, but after picking up my suitcase at the carrousel, passing through customs was an entirely new experience.  They seemed to be inspecting EVERYONE'S luggage.  "Oh oh," I thought.  I do not know if there was some situation going on that day that put customs was high alert, but I have never had my luggage so thoroughly inspected on any on my travels.  The officer looked through my suitcase, my backpack, my little camera bag.  He even asked to look through the pouch in which I carry my passport around my neck.  He saw the three boxes of face masks, and I explained that they were for my friends in Mexico City.  He asked if I were carrying soap... and, yes, I had a big package of Irish Spring, a brand that Alejandro likes but cannot find in Mexico.  But fortunately I was allowed through.  The man ahead of me, however, seemed to be having a discussion with the officer over the two laptops that he was carrying.

So I made it through customs with my cargo of gifts.  Alejandro was there at the airport to take me to his house.  That evening after supper I distributed the presents to everyone, and they were all pleased with their gifts.


Alejandro poses with some fancy socks that are decorated with famous works of art.
(You probably recognize "The Scream" and Van Gogh's "Starry NIght".)

And if you are wondering about that barred door behind Alejandro, no, we are not in jail.
They put in that door to keep their dogs out of the dining room! 😀

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment