from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, August 14, 2021

It's that Time of Year

August is the beginning of the season when restaurants all over the city feature "chile en nogada" on their menu.  This dish, which I consider the masterpiece of Mexican cuisine, is traditionally served on Independence Day (September 16th) because its colors are the colors of the Mexican flag... the green Poblano pepper, the white walnut sauce and the red pomegranate seeds.

Even restaurants which are not gourmet eateries, such the popular chain VIPs, are advertising "chiles en nogada".



In my opinion the best "chile en nogada" is served at my favorite restaurant, "Angelopolitano".  I am sure that before this trip is over, I will have a chance to enjoy the dish there.  (Although "Angelopolitano" is one of the few restaurants in town which serves them all year long.)  However "El Cardenal", another restaurant on my favorites list, does a very nice job with it also.  So a couple days ago I went over there for my first "chiles en nogada" of the season.

"El Cardenal" offers a special "chile en nogada" menu at this time of year, and that is what I ordered.

The menu begins with an appetizer of "enchilada de huitlacoche en salsa verde."


The enchilada in green sauce is filled with "huitlacoche", a type of mushroom that grows on the ears of corn.  Farmers north of the border consider it a blight and call it "corn smut".  But down here it is considered a delicacy that is enjoyed during the summer rainy season.

(My beverage was a very refreshing pitcher of cucumber / lime water.)

Next is the star of the show, the "chile en nogada".  The poblano pepper is stuffed with a mixture of ground pork and beef and various fruits, including apples, pears and peaches.


Absolutely delicious!


For dessert, the menu concluded with ice cream flavored with the fruit of the prickly pear cactus and mezcal.  I don't care for mezcal, but the waiter said that I could substitute any their ice creams flavors.  So I ordered mamey ice cream.  Mamey is a delicious tropical fruit that is virtually unknown north of the border.  


Another wonderful, traditional Mexican meal,
a meal completely unlike anything you are likely to find in a so-called "Mexican" restaurant in the United States!

No comments:

Post a Comment