from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Observing the Wild Flowers

As I have mentioned, I have been trying to take long walks several times a week.  When I have mail to take to the post office I will walk there instead of taking the car.  The Olmsted Falls post office is about two miles away from my house, and the route passes some forested areas.  Along the side of the road a number of summer wildflowers are in bloom.  A couple days ago I decided to take my camera along with me.

The most prolific wildflower is Queen Anne's lace.


Afterwards I did a bit of research about the plant and learned quite a bit.  It originated in central Asia and spread to Europe and the Americas.  It is related to cilantro and dill, and its taproot was prized for its medicinal properties.

The flower does indeed look like a piece of delicate lace.


If you look very closely you will see a small reddish-purplish floret in the center of the bloom.  I had never noticed it before, but I read that that little dot is the origin of the plant's name.  According to legend, the British Queen Anne was making lace when she pricked her finger and a drop of blood fell on her needlework.  

The plant is considered a weed, but I noticed a couple homes that I passed had incorporated it as a part of their flower beds.

During my walk I snapped photos of a few other wildflowers whose names I do not know.







A view from the bridge of the west branch of the Rocky River as it passes through Olmsted Falls.

1 comment:

  1. If you ever succumb to a smart phone, there are apps on which you can photograph plants/trees, and it will identify them. I've watched Tom do this when he sees something he'd like to plant in their yard.

    ReplyDelete