from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Shopping Day

One day last week I went to the Ciudadela Handicraft Market located at the edge of Mexico City's historic center.  This market was established in 1965 in preparation for the 1968 Summer Olympics.  The government wanted it to be a showcase for Mexican handicrafts.  The building, with an area of over 17,000 square feet, houses over 350 vendors.


I have written before that this market has a lot of tourist kitsch, but if you look carefully you can also find some nice handicrafts.


I came here because I wanted to buy a present for my friend Irma.  I have mentioned her on this blog before.  She was born in Mexico and was the wife of one of my college Spanish professors.  Shortly after I return to Ohio in September, she will celebrate a milestone birthday.  I wanted to get her something nice as a present, and I knew exactly what I wanted to buy, and I knew exactly where to find it in this market.


This is where I bought her gift, but I won't mention what I bought in case she might be reading this blog!

After completing my purchase, I did some more wandering through this large market, and I ended buying a few more items as presents for other friends.

I had to take a picture of the sign on this shelf filled with fragile items of clay pottery...


The sign says:
"Our best customers are children because
their parents pay for what they break."

No comments:

Post a Comment