from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Another One on My List

If you have been reading my blog over the years, by this time you could probably name my favorite restaurants in Mexico City.  At the top of the list is "Angelopolitano".  I have not eaten there yet on this trip, but you can count on the fact that I will go there at least once before I return to Ohio.  Second on my list is "El Cardenal", a chain of restaurants that specializes in traditional Mexican cuisine.  I have already written about it twice on this trip alone.  In third place I would probably put "El Bajío", another chain that serves traditional dishes.  There is one that is just a short walk down Insurgentes Avenue from my apartment, and yesterday I went there for breakfast.


I especially like the breakfasts at "El Bajío".  They have wonderful hot chocolate, excellent baked goods, and a variety of hearty main dishes.

My waitress was a very sweet, young lady, but between her face mask and her face shield I had a hard time understanding her.  I one point I was completely lost, until I realized that she had a bottle of champagne and a carafe of orange juice on her cart.  She was asking me if I would like a mimosa.  "No, gracias."

In addition to a couple cups of hot chocolate, a glass of orange juice, and a "chocolatín", a chocolate-filled pastry, I ordered "enfrijoladas".


An "enfrijolada" is like an enchilada except that instead of being covered with a sauce made from "chiles", it is covered with a black bean sauce.  The "enfrijoladas" were filled with scrambled eggs and "longaniza", a type of Mexican sausage.  It was delicious.

One of my friends says that he is gaining weight from just looking at all my photos of the food that I am eating here.  Sorry, Frank!

No comments:

Post a Comment