city at night

city at night

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Climbing the Stairs

 


I have been getting a fair amount of exercise while I have been here in Mexico City.  In spite of the wonderful Mexican food in which I have been indulging, I don't think (knock on wood) that I have put on any weight up to now.  I have been walking quite a bit.  On one occasion I walked from downtown back to my apartment, which is a distance of at least four miles.  I guess that this old man is in halfway decent shape since I can walk that far, at an altitude of over 7,000 feet above sea level, while wearing an N95 facemask.  

The worst part of my hikes have been when I return back to the apartment.  When I first arrived at the condo building last week, I discovered that the building's elevator was not working.  The "portera"... we have a door lady, not a doorman... said that it had gone out during a thunderstorm a few days before my arrival and that she did not know when it would be repaired.

My apartment is on the fourth floor, so every time I would go out, a climb up the stairs would be awaiting me upon my return.  (In Mexico, as in Europe, my apartment would be considered to be on the third floor, since they do not count the ground floor as the first floor.)  I would trudge up the first three flights of steps without a problem.  But every time that final floor would get to me, and when I reached my door, I would be a bit out of breath.  That is the only time that I notice the altitude.

I spent a couple more days at Alejandro's house, and last night, when I returned to the apartment, I discovered that the elevator had finally been repaired.  I guess I will need to do a bit of extra walking to make up for the calories not expended going up the stairs several times a day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment