city at night

city at night

Monday, August 23, 2021

Interesting Sculpture

Mexico City's famous boulevard, el Paseo de la Reforma, is the location of numerous monuments, and in recent years smaller pieces of sculpture have graced the pedestrian walkways along the boulevard.  Last week as I walked from the Anthropology Museum back to my apartment I noticed an interesting bronze statue on the Paseo close to the entrance to Chapultepec Park.  The work was done by Miguel Peraza, a noted Mexico City sculptor.


A life size sculptor with hammer and chisel is portrayed sculpting a giant chess piece, the knight, out of a block of stone.



As I walked around the statue, I noticed a humorous element.  The sculptor's jacket is hanging as if from a hook in the piece of stone.


I don't know if there is any message that Peraza is trying to convey through this work, but it is certainly an interesting sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment