city at night

city at night

Monday, February 13, 2023

The Rabbit in the Moon

 Alejandro and I were walking through the nearby neighborhood of Colonia del Valle, and we noticed this attractive courtyard that contained several new businesses and restaurants. 

(photo taken by Alejandro)

One of the restaurants here is called "El Conejo en la Luna" (The Rabbit in the Moon).  In Mexico, I suppose because of the different latitude, when you look at the full moon, you don't see "the man in the moon" but rather "the rabbit in the moon".  We have eaten a couple of times at a restaurant of the same name near the archaeological site of Teotihuacan.  It's a very rustic restaurant, but the food was quite good.  We went in and asked if this place is a branch of the same restaurant, and they said that they are.  So, we thought that it was a place that we could try in the future.

Last Friday we decided to go there for supper.  Even though it was an exceptionally chilly night, we walked there.  It's about a twenty minute walk from my apartment.  The restaurant has tables in the courtyard, but we choose to eat inside.  The place is quite unusual in that you go upstairs where there are several small rooms with tables.  The waiter gives you a button with which you can call him when you are ready to order, or if you need him.


Looking down at the courtyard from the window of our little dining room.

As a starter we ordered "queso fundido", melted cheese with, in this case, "chistorra", a type of sausage.  We were served flour tortillas to put the cheese in.



We both ordered the house soup which was a tomato-based broth with chunks of cheese and avocados and chile peppers.



Alejandro ordered a codfish sandwich.



 And I ordered "flautas".  "Flautas" (Spanish for flutes) are corn tortillas filled with meat, rolled up, and then deep-fried.  They are usually garnished with crumbled cheese, sour cream and lettuce.  My "flautas" were also covered with peanut sauce.  I love Mexican peanut sauce, and that is one of the main reasons I ordered the dish.



Our food was good, but not outstanding.  We prefer the original "El Conejo en la Luna" at Teotihuacan.  I make a much better peanut sauce than what was served on my "flautas".  I think this place is trying to fit in with the affluent neighborhood by attracting a hip, young crowd.  Plus, I think that their emphasis is more on drinks.  The menu features a long list of artisanal mezcals and cocktails made with mezcal.  It's an interesting place, but I don't think that we will return. 




2 comments:

  1. I love queso fundido but ironically, I never see it on any menus here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing it on menus either.

      Delete