city at night

city at night

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

A Restaurant Discovery

On Sunday, Alejandro and I took a walk through the neighborhood of San Pedro de los Pinos which is adjacent to Nápoles, where my apartment is located.   It was late afternoon and time for dinner.  As we were headed back, we spotted a restaurant that we had not noticed before... "Villa Casona".  


The building, in colonial style, looked attractive, and we decided to look at the menu that was posted at the door.  There were lots of items that appealed to us, so we decided to give the place a try.  The restaurant was crowded... a good sign... although we only had to wait a few moments for a table.  There were also a lot of senior citizens there... another good sign.  We older folks know what places serve good food at a reasonable price, as opposed to trendy places that serve tiny portions at an exorbitant price.

I started with "Sopa de lima" (lime soup), a specialty of Yucatán.  It was good, but not as good as what I have had in Mérida or even some Yucatecan restaurants here in Mexico City.



Alejandro had shrimp and nopal (cactus) soup.  He said that it was excellent.



For my main course I had chicken breast in almond "mole".  It was delicious.



Alejandro had a salmon filet with mango sauce.  Also excellent.



Alejandro didn't have any dessert but I ordered apple studel.
I'm not sure that an Austrian would give it a seal of approval, but it was very tasty.



Even though the restaurant is a bit of a walk from my apartment, we will definitely return.  The atmosphere is pleasant, the service very good, the prices are reasonable, and the food is great.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment