from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Another Month Passes

You may recall that each year I make a calendar featuring photos that I have taken.  The theme of this year's calendar is the Cleveland Museum of Art.  For February there is another snowy picture, a winter landscape by Rockwell Kent entitled "Maine Coast".


Rockwell Kent (1882 - 1971) was an American painter who found inspiration in the stark beauty of the wilderness.  His travels took him to remote places such as Newfoundland, Alaska, Tierra del Fuego and Greenland.

Since I do not return to Ohio until March, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will have missed most of that winter white stuff.

4 comments:

  1. So interesting that you mention Rockwell Kent. I had never heard of him until a few weeks ago, when his name came up in a book I was reading. I'm actually traveling to Greenland in March (fingers crossed nothing goes wrong before then to jinx my trip), and the author I was reading stayed in the same village in Greenland where Kent stayed and produced a lot of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of him either until I saw one of his paintings in the Cleveland Museum of Art.
      Wow! You're the first person I ever knew who was going to Greenland!

      Delete
    2. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to visit there, so I can't believe I'm finally going. My friend and I started planning in 2019, and when the pandemic hit, I thought I might never get there. I'm still worried about the fickle Arctic weather derailing our travel plans, but now that it's only weeks away, I'm starting to get very excited!

      Delete
    3. Good luck! The trip sounds really exciting. You'll have to send me some photos.

      Delete