from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Ringing in the New Year

 It is hard to believe that another year has passed, and that we are on the brink of ushering in 2023.  Tonight, I will stay at home, but, at the stroke of midnight, I will open the front door and ring my great-grandmother's dinner as I do every New Year's Eve.


The bell belonged to my great-grandmother who came to this country as a child from Switzerland.  She used the bell on the farm that belonged to the family of her husband, my great-grandfather.

I told my cousin Gail that when I move to Mexico that I would give her the bell.  Her great-grandfather and my great-grandmother were brother and sister.  She told me that she would continue the tradition of ringing the bell on New Year's Eve.

1 comment:

  1. I shall ring it with pride for our Swiss family who wee brave enough to cross the ocean and make us their descendants.

    ReplyDelete