city at night

city at night

Saturday, August 6, 2022

Splendid Isolation

When I resumed my normal travel schedule to Mexico in 2021, after being fully vaccinated against COVID, I got into the habit of self-quarantining myself for a week before my departure.  I felt, correctly or not, that I would be less likely to come down with the virus just before leaving or to unknowingly carry the virus down there.  I have continued to do that, and last Tuesday I began my period of isolation.  On Monday I went to the supermarket and bought groceries to last for the week and ran any errands that needed to be done.  I have not left the house since then.  A couple people have asked on the phone how I am doing all by myself.  It's really not a big deal since I am used to being alone.

I have kept busy accomplishing the things on my "to-do" list.  Except for last minute items, the suitcases are packed, and the bills have been paid.  Yesterday I finished going through the flower beds.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am very discouraged by the deer that have been eating my plants.  Recently I discovered a fat, ravenous groundhog has also been chewing my flowers.  I am ready to just give up on gardening.  However, before leaving, I wanted to pull any weeds that have sprouted and to lay down Preen again so that the weeds do not take over while I am away.  The Preen that I put down in June seems to have done its job since I did not have much weeding to do.  This weekend I am going to clean house and do laundry.

I did cheat a bit on my isolation.  A couple days ago my friends Duffy and Gayle stopped by.  We sat outside on the patio and kept a safe distance.

In just three days I will once again be on my way to Mexico!


     

4 comments:

  1. Safe travels! Mexico now has as many cases of covid as we did at the beginning in 2020 so nearly everyone is masked in SMA! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I have a good supply of N-95 masks packed for the trip!

      Delete
  2. We're beginning our isolation in preparation for our departure for the Mediterranean a week fI'm from tomorrow. YIKES! It's been 4 years since we signed up, so 'm anxious to see if it happens! We'll be getting our annual flu shot before we go as we did last September before traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip. I am hoping to get the new booster against Omicron soon after I return home. And of course the flu shot.

    ReplyDelete