from airplane

from airplane

Friday, August 19, 2022

Amber Expo

Last Sunday, I needed to run an errand in the historic center of Mexico City, and Alejandro accompanied me.

There is always something going on downtown.  We didn't get very far... just past the Monument to the Revolution... when we saw an exposition of amber from the Mexican state of Chiapas.


Amber is fossilized tree resin and is prized for its use in jewelry.  Most of the amber in Mexico comes from one mine near the mountain village of Simojovel in the southern state of Chiapas.  Over 600 pounds are mined each month, and the amber is between 15 and 23 million years old.

There were over eighty stands where the work of over 160 craftsmen was for sale.



I did make a small purchase of some amber earrings.  There was also one stand selling other handicrafts from Chiapas.  Among the items were the clay jaguar figurines from the town of Amatenango del Valle.  These have become very popular in recent years, and can be found in most of the handicraft markets in Mexico City.   I have bought a number of them as gifts and for myself on past trips. 


The pot to the left, however, is something relatively unique that I have not often seen.  I was sorely tempted to buy it.  But, as I said, I had an errand to run, and I didn't want to carry around a fragile piece of pottery with me all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment