city at night

city at night

Thursday, August 11, 2022

More Reading Material

When I travel I always choose a couple of books to pack into my backpack so that I have something to read while waiting at the airport, on my flights, and before bedtime each night.  This trip was no exception.  However, the two novels that I had picked out will have to wait.  After passing through security at Cleveland Airport, I still had plenty of time before boarding my plane.  I browsed through one of the airport shops, and there was a book that caught my eye, "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller.


The novel, published in 2011, is a retelling of the mythological story of the Greek warrior Achilles whose exploits were told in "The Iliad" by Homer.  The author graduated with a bachelor's and master's degrees in Classics, and was a high school Greek and Latin teacher.  "The Song of Achilles" was her first book, and it was #1 on the New York Times Bestsellers List. One reviewer wrote that the novel is "more poetic than almost any translation of Homer".

I have already read several chapters, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  After doing a bit of research on the author, I discovered that she wrote a second novel "Circe".  It is a retelling of the story of the Greek enchantress in Homer's "The Odyssey" written from Circe's perspective.  I will have look for that one the next time I am in a bookstore back in Ohio.   

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I will see if I can get it on my Kindle. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without giving away the plot, I think it will give a view of Greek mythology that you may not have been aware of.

      Delete
  2. Are novels in English readily available in CDMX?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. About as available as novels in Spanish are available in Ohio bookstores. That's why I am stocking up on reading material to have down here. I have eleven books sitting on the bookshelf here in the apartment to read in the future.

      Delete