city at night

city at night

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Next Up for Bedtime Reading

A couple nights ago I finished the travel book about author Paul Theroux's journey across the continent of Africa.  So, I had to pick out the next book from my stack for my bedtime reading.  I chose another travel book, "Shadow of the Silk Road" by Colin Thubron.


I had already packed a couple novels in my backpack for my trip in a couple days. I figured that this travel book would be something that I could start now and easily pick up again when I return home in September.

Unlike Theroux, who is one of the best-known American travel writers, I had never heard of this author before.  Apparently, Thubron is well known in Britain and has written quite a few books describing his travels in the Middle East, Russia and central Asia.  In this book he tells of his 7000-mile journey from China to the Mediterranean, retracing the legendary trade route along which silk and other products of the Far East were transported to the West.

I have only read a couple of chapters, but so far it is very interesting.  The first chapter takes place in Huangling in central China.  It is the site of the mausoleum of the Yellow Emperor, the mythical figure who is credited with the creation of Chinese civilization more than 4,000 years ago.  Legend says that it was his wife, Empress Leizu, who discovered silk when a silkworm cocoon fell into her tea.

From Huangling the author travels to nearby Xian.  There, the first emperor of a unified China, Qin Shi Huang, established his capital in the 2nd century B.C.  The city is the site of the famous Terracotta Army discovered in the emperor's tomb.  The remains of this ancient city are surrounded by a modern metropolis of more than twelve million people.

From Xian, the author will set off on his long journey across western China, central Asia and the Middle East.  It promises to be a fascinating journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment