city at night

city at night

Sunday, January 22, 2017

On a Clear Day...

I doubt that the skies of Mexico City are ever so clear that you could see forever.  However, we have been enjoying some relatively pollution free days.  Usually, during the winter dry season, the pollution is at its worse, but I guess the winds are blowing in just the right direction to blow away the smog.

On Friday I decided to see just how clear the air was, and I went to the observation deck at the top of the Latin American Tower.  This skyscraper was built in 1956, and for many years it was the tallest building in not just Mexico, but in all of Latin America. 
 

I have been to the top of the tower many times, and I have already posted pictures on this blog.   But I hoped that the view would  perhaps merit another post. 



Looking down at the Palace of Fine Arts




The Alameda Park and Juárez Avenue



 The skyscrapers along the Paseo de la Reforma are not obscured by smog.
You can even make out the distant buildings of the Santa Fe commercial district at the foot of the mountains.


But the real proof is whether or not you can see the volcanoes Iztaccíhuatl and Popocatépetl to the east.  All the times that I have been to the top of the tower, I have never seen the volcanoes.

They are not crystal clear, but, yes, there they are!



You can make out the snow on the peak of Izta...


and Popo appears to be exhaling a puff of smoke.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Aleckz is feeling better. Grimy air can't help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's feeling fine.
      The air quality is actually better than it used to be. At one time Mexico City was considered the most polluted city in the world. Now the pollution is said to be about the same level as Los Angeles... not great, but an improvement over years past.

      Delete