city at night

city at night

Saturday, January 21, 2017

A Hidden Spot for Lunch

One of the great things about Mexico City is that, no matter how many times I go there, I always find something new.

On Thursday, after viewing the art exhibit at San Ildefonso, I wandered a bit in the historic center of the city.  On the pedestrianized street right behind San Ildefonso I noticed a colonial house that now belongs to the government of the state of Tlaxcala.  (Tlaxcala is Mexico's smallest state, and is located about two hours to the east of Mexico City.)  



Part of the building was a shop of handicrafts from the state, and another part was a restaurant specializing in the cuisine of Tlaxcala.  The restaurant was tucked away in a rear courtyard.  I was surprised to see that this obscure, little place was fairly busy.  So I decided to give it a try.




 I started with a bowl of "sopa tlaxcalteca", a tasty bean soup with thin strips of tortillas, and served with a plate of garnishes... cheese, avocado, dried chile peppers and "chicharrones" (fried pork rind).




I then had a plate of "tlacoyos", little fried cakes of corn "masa" (dough), filled with frijoles and covered with sauce and cheese.


It was a very good meal, and if I were in the vicinity again at lunchtime, I would return and try one of their main courses.

A historical sidenote:   There is a plaque which says that José Martí once lived in this house.  Martí was a 19th century Cuban poet and freedom fighter w ho spent a number of years in exile in Mexico.  He is considered one of the great Latin American poets, and is revered as one of Cuba's national heroes.  You are probably familiar with his poetry without even knowing it.  The lyrics of the popular song "Guantanamera" are taken from his verses.

2 comments:

  1. You're making me hungry for Barroco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to go there again.
      You know, Gail, you disappointed me. I thought for sure that you would make a comment wondering if José Martí is any relation to our Swiss family.

      Delete