city at night

city at night

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Breakfast Spots

One of my regular spots for breakfast in Mérida has always been "Café La Habana", so I took Gail and Wes there on their first morning here.  I always order the "huevos motuleños", one of the most characteristic breakfast dishes of Yucatán.  On my last trip to Mérida and again on this trip I have noticed that, although the coffee is still excellent and the service very good, the quality of the food is going downhill.

Last January when I rented a house in the Santiago neighborhood of Mérida, I discovered a place called "Café Montejo" that serves excellent breakfasts.  It is located near the "Plaza de Santiago".  It's a bit of a hike from the downtown hotel where we are staying, so yesterday morning we took a taxi there.  Seating is in a pleasant outdoor courtyard.  The food is delicious, the servings are generous, and the prices are (by our standards) inexpensive.  And the home-made pastries are out of this world!  The owner and his sister both remembered me from my visits last year and gave me hugs (reinforcing Wes and Gail's opinion that I must know everybody in Mérida.)


This morning we needed to have breakfast somewhere nearby since we were leaving at 9:00 on an excursion to the Mayan ruins of Uxmal.  There used to be a little place right across the street from the hotel, and it was a very good spot for breakfast.  I was quite upset when I discovered that it had closed and that in its place there was a Middle Eastern restaurant called "Pita".  (Middle Eastern cuisine is not a favorite of mine.) But I looked at their menu the other day, and saw that they have a number of Mexican breakfasts.  So we went there today as soon as they opened at 8:00.  

I ordered "huevos motuleños" so that I could compare them with those at "Café La Habana".  They are definitely better at "Pita"!


Wes was very happy with his "huevos rancheros"...

  
...and Gail raved about the Middle Eastern dish that she ordered.  It had cheese and egg baked in the middle of fresh pita bread.


"Pita" has replaced "La Habana" as my preferred breakfast spot downtown!

2 comments: