from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Just Before Sunrise

Yesterday, at 7:00 A.M., just before sunrise, I went up to the roof of Alejandro's house.  I had not yet had a glimpse of the two volcanoes, Popocátepetl and Iztaccíhuatl, and I figured that this would be a good time to see them.  Sure enough, the two peaks were silhouetted against the pre-dawn sky.


   (Notice the airplane taking off from nearby Mexico City International Airport.)

It was impossible to tell if the mountains still had any snow on them, silhouetted as they were.  However, I could see wisps of smoke exhaled from the very active "Popo".


 
Later in the day Alejandro drove me back to my apartment.  There is one stretch of elevated expressway where, if the conditions are right, you can see the volcanoes.  The air was clearer than it has been, and the mountains were visible.  It appeared that "Izta" had a bit of snow on its peak, but "Popo" was bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment