city at night

city at night

Sunday, February 27, 2022

After All These Years

 I had to take a photo of this hotel, Hotel El Salvador, located in the Historic Center.  Back in 1973, when I was studying in Mexico, I stayed at this hotel a couple of times.  It's still there! 


When I studied at the University of the Americas in Cholula, just outside of Puebla, we did not have classes on Fridays.  So, practically every weekend I jumped on a bus and traveled somewhere.  As a student, I was, of course, on a budget, and the hotels where I stayed were very basic.  At least one that I remember was quite grim.  

Another student had recommended the Hotel El Salvador, so I stayed there on a couple of weekends in Mexico City.  I remember that it was extremely cheap, and yet the room was very modern and clean, the bathroom was sparkling.  It was probably the nicest place I stayed during that trip.   The street, República de El Salvador, was not especially attractive, but it was a short walk to all of the downtown attractions.

I looked up the hotel on Trip Advisor, and the place is still very inexpensive (about 35 U.S. dollars per night), and the rooms still look nice in the photos.  The reviews of the place were generally not bad.  The most common complaint was poor Wi-Fi service.  Of course, that was not an issue back in 1973! 


No comments:

Post a Comment