from airplane

from airplane

Friday, February 18, 2022

Architecture

I wrote in my last post that the clerk at the FONART store had told me that I could find the miniature figures that I wanted to buy for my cousin in England at a different branch.  That store was located in the government headquarters of the Secretariat of the Economy in the neighborhood of Condesa.  Yesterday I set out from my apartment to the store.  Condesa is about a half hour's walk away.  I reached the government building which is a tall office tower.


Because this is a government office, I couldn't just walk into the store.  I had to sign-in and receive a visitor's pass. Then I had to go to another desk where my temperature was taken.  The store is not nearly as big as the one I usually go to, but, sure enough there was a case with miniature figures.  I bought three for my cousin, and a couple of other items for myself.  

I am quite familiar with the Condesa neighborhood, but I had never been on Pachuca Street,  where the Secretariat is located.  I took a walk down the street, and there were many interesting buildings.  The older houses, built when Condesa was developed in the 1920s, are often in neo-colonial style.


  





This interesting house appears to be brand new.  The occupants have not yet moved in, and workers were still putting the finishing touches on it.




An entire city block is taken up by this apartment complex.  The architecture, reminds me of many of the older buildings in Madrid, Spain, with small, glass-enclosed balconies, projecting from the structure.




I came to familiar territory as I approached Veracruz Street since on several trips I rented an Airbnb on that street.  I remember when this apartment building was being built.  I really don't care for it, although I am sure the apartments are very expensive.  The entire structure is covered with shiny, ceramic tiles.




Nearby on Veracruz, is this business with an enormous sculpture of a hand on the roof.  I have no idea what the significance of it is, or if it is just a bizarre fancy of the owner.  In the background are the skyscrapers of the Paseo de la Reforma which is just a short walk away.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment