city at night

city at night

Friday, November 5, 2021

What Time Will It Open?

The "ofrenda" that the city set up for Day of the Dead on the Zócalo was not there for very long.  It was not open to the public until Sunday, October 31st, and it was supposed to be there until Wednesday, November 3rd.  All that work for just five days.  Yes, I know that an "ofrenda" is only for those few days of the Day of the Dead observance, but in the past the one on the Zócalo has been left in place for a while before and after the holiday so that more people actually have a chance to see it. 

On November 3rd, I looked at the webcam of the Zócalo and saw that the "ofrenda" had suddenly disappeared, a day earlier than the publicity from the city government had stated.  In its place the plaza was already filled with rows of large tents.  I found out that they were setting up for a Festival of Indigenous Cultures with music, food and handicrafts.  I am generally opposed to the way that they are always cluttering up the Zócalo with special exhibits.  It destroys the vistas on this vast plaza of the historic buildings which surround it.  But this sounded like something that would be really interesting.  (You know that I am a sucker for handicrafts, as well as traditional food and music.)

The event was supposed to begin on Thursday, November 4th, so yesterday I took a taxi to the Zócalo and arrived there around 11:00 A.M.  The plaza were cordoned off with barricades.  The tents and tables were all in place, but no one was within the perimeter.  No vendors selling handicrafts and food, no music.




I went to a tourist information booth next to the Cathedral.  The young woman inside was absorbed with her cell phone.  I got her attention and asked her when the event was going to begin.  She told me tomorrow, but then she looked at her cell phone again... I suppose at the official publicity... and she admitted that it was supposed to start today.  

I walked around the Historic Center for a bit, and came back about an hour later.  I noticed that a few people carrying bundles into the perimeter.  I asked a policeman when the event was going to open, and he said maybe around 4:00 in the afternoon.  Well, I couldn't hang around that long.  I was scheduled to chat on Skype with a friend later.  So I headed back to the apartment.  At least this event is supposed to last until November 18th, so... unlike the Day of the Dead "ofrenda"... I should have a chance to see it.

When I arrived at the Zócalo there were a couple of indigenous groups who were protesting injustices against their people.  I thought that was quite ironic.


 The banners held by this group of Mexica (Aztecs) say:
No discrimination
No marginalization
No racism
No violation of human rights


This banner of this group representing indigenous artisans says:
We demand
respect
for our right to employment
for decent housing
for education
for non-discrimination, 
exercising with equality
our human rights

It is a very sad commentary that in spite of all the rhetoric from the government extolling Mexico's indigenous heritage, the native peoples remain at the lowest rung of society and suffer injustices which often come from the government itself.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment