city at night

city at night

Monday, November 15, 2021

My First (and probably last) Time

Sushi surprisingly seems to be very popular in Mexico City.  There are at least two major chains of sushi restaurants in the city and numerous independent restaurants.

I had never eaten sushi.  I am not a big seafood fan, and I definitely have no desire to eat raw fish.  However, Alejandro told me that there are lots of types of vegetarian sushi.  I was willing to give it a try, and on Friday evening we went out to a branch of one of the chains which is located on Insurgentes Avenue, a few blocks from my apartment.


 

This was one of those restaurants where, due to the pandemic, you have to scan the menu onto your smart phone.  Alejandro scanned it, but, I'm sorry, trying to scroll through a menu, especially an extensive menu, on the phone screen is a royal pain in the neck.  Finally, the waiter was able to scrounge up a real menu for me to look at.

We both ordered soup.  I had some sort of soup with chunks of chicken and rice noodles.  We also had an appetizer that looked like corndogs, but which was breaded cheese on a skewer.



Alejandro ordered some kind of sushi roll that contained fish.



I ordered a vegetarian sushi roll that contained cheese, peppers and avocados.


Alejandro used chopsticks to eat, but I have never mastered that skill.  I asked for a fork, but it was also rather awkward to eat it that way.

For dessert we ordered something that had a chocolate brownie as a base, and tea-flavored ice cream on top.


The food was not bad, but I cannot say that I was impressed with the soup, the sushi roll or even the dessert.  The bill came to nearly 1000 pesos, or about 50 U.S. dollars.  Not outrageous by U.S. standards, but quite pricey for Mexico... especially for a meal that I did not find all that great.

I can now say that I have tried sushi, but I doubt very much that I will order it again, or return to that restaurant.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of sushi, but I love things like ceviche and poke. Go figure! Sorry your dining experience wasn't that great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of poke. I had to look up what it is. No, they do not appeal to me at all, nor does anything like steak tartare.

      Delete