city at night

city at night

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Along Insurgentes

 After my hike to see the Torre Mitikah, I took a different route to return to my apartment.  Most of the way I walked along Insurgentes Avenue, the longest street in Mexico City.  It stretches almost 18 miles from the northern edge of the city to the far south of the city where it becomes the highway to Cuernavaca.  Fortunately I did not have to walk eighteen miles!

I reached the avenue at the busy intersection with Río Mixcoac, which is dominated by the Torre Manacar.  I wrote about this building a few years ago.  The 29 story office building and shopping mall was completed in 2018.  It is an impressive, pyramid-shaped, glass structure... although the advertising banners detract from its beauty.



Just across the street is another glass office building called the Torre Origami.  I thought that it was new, but I looked it up on the internet and read that it was completed in 2013.


Next to Torre Origami is another building which I think is new, and next to that is another structure under construction.




A flower stall along the avenue



I have often said that the greatest danger facing visitors to Mexico City is the sidewalks.
Here is a case in point.
Watch your step!




The Liverpool Department Store along Insurgentes has put up their Christmas tree.



Everywhere you see advertisements for the "Buen Fin", Mexico's version of "Black Friday".
Sears (which in Mexico is thriving and quite upscale) is offering discounts of up to 50%, and an additional discount of up to 15% if you use your Sears card.
I have read that Sears Mexico is planning on changing its name so as to disassociate itself from its failing U.S. parent company.



A few years ago I wrote about the "Parque Hundido" (Sunken Park) which is on the site of a former brickyard.  The park is noted for its large floral clock and its replicas of pre-Hispanic sculptures.





Just beyond the park is yet another new office building under construction.
As I have said before, I have no idea how, under the current economic conditions, they plan on filling all these buildings.
Even existing office buildings all have signs saying "Offices available".


 
A modern sculpture in front of one of the office buildings




At last the World Trade Center is in sight, and I have returned to my neighborhood.


I walked over six miles that day, and it was good to get back to my apartment and rest my weary legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment