from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Brrrr

This weekend a cold front came through Mexico, and the temperatures are anything but tropical.  On Friday night there were warnings that higher elevations of Mexico City could dip below freezing, and that snow was possible in the mountains.  (I doubt that there was any snow since this is the dry season, and there has not been any precipitation of any form.)  

I have written before that, because of its high altitude, Mexico City's climate is much cooler than most people would imagine.  But this weekend has been colder than I would expect for this time of year.  On Friday night Alejandro and I went out to eat at a restaurant not far from the apartment.  Even though I was wearing one the warmer jackets that I have down here, on the walk home I could not wait to get back to the apartment.  Yesterday Alejandro and I were planning to go downtown in the afternoon.  It was a brilliantly sunny day, and we were debating whether or not to wear a jacket.  We are glad we did, because in spite of the sun the temperature never hit 70 F and the wind made it feel even chillier.   This morning as I write this, the temperature is only 48 F (just ten degrees higher than what it is back home in Ohio).  Once again the high is not expected to reach 70.

I'm not complaining.  But if you are planning a trip to Mexico City this time of year, please do not expect to wear shorts, tank tops and sandals.  This is not Cancún.  Not only will you look absolutely ridiculous, but you will be cold! 

2 comments:

  1. And here in Cleveland, the snow is coming down like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But at least the temperature up there is above freezing, so I don't think it will last long.

      Delete