city at night

city at night

Thursday, November 4, 2021

Green Again

 I have written several times about the "Ecoducto", the green space / pedestrian path that was created along the median strip of one of the city's busy freeways, the "Viaducto Miguel Alemán".



The last time that I wrote about the "Ecoducto" was last April. toward the end of the dry season.  Much of the country was in the grip of a severe drought at that time, and the shriveled and seemingly dead plants along the path reflected that. 

The dry season is now upon us again, but the summer rainy season recently ended.  And as if to make up for the previous drought, this year's rainy season was very wet indeed.  In fact, flooding was a major problem in some portions of the Mexico City metropolitan area.  

On one of my walks through the city, I revisited the "Ecoducto".  I was happy to see that those plants which had earlier appeared dead were green and thriving again.  Apparently the plantings were chosen for their ability to survive periods without rain.




The gardener in me was tempted to do some weeding, although not being an expert on Mexican vegetation, I wouldn't know which plants are considered weeds.  The "Ecoducto" may not be manicured perfection, but it is nice to see that it is green again.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment