city at night

city at night

Friday, November 12, 2021

At the Tower

I wrote in my previous post that I was going to walk to the Torre Mitikah, the nearly completed skyscraper that is Mexico City's tallest building.  Google Maps said that it would an hour's walk to get there from my apartment.  I took me an hour and twenty minutes, but I was taking pictures along the way.


The tower is part of a larger project creating a "city within a city".  The Mitikah Office Tower next to it is already completed.

This artist's conception of the completed project is on a billboard at the construction site.  The first stage of the project included the construction of a hospital which I have pointed out with an arrow.  That hospital, El Hospital San Angel Inn, has been in operation for a quite a while now.  In 2014 Alejandro had an operation there, and at that time construction on the tower had just begun.  I remember seeing signs next to the hospital detailing the ambitious construction project.



Hospital San Angel Inn now stands in the shadow of the tower.

Construction soon came to a standstill however due to issues with permits and environmental studies.  Work resumed on the tower (were the issues resolved or were palms greased???) although from what I have read it is still questionable whether the entire project will be allowed to proceed.

In any event, Torre Mitikah is near completion.  It stands at 877 feet and has 67 stories.



The skyscraper will house luxury condominiums,  The promotional sign says, "Live in the tallest".



The completed Mitkah Office Tower next door is 486 feet tall with 34 stories.



Offices available - Apartments for sale



Next to the office building is an upscale shopping mall.  The flagship store is "Palacio de Hierro", Mexico City's ritziest department store.  Even "Palacio de Hierro" was offering sales for the "Buen Fin", the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.



The mall was decked out in Christmas decorations.




So, if I had the money, would I want to live in Torre Mitikah?  No way!  The skyscraper is located at the juncture of three major thoroughfares... Coyoacán, Universidad, and Río Churrubusco Avenues, as well as the "Circuito Interior", the innerbelt expressway.  The traffic is horrendous!  I can imagine the headaches the tenants will have trying to pull out of the parking garage onto the street.


It's interesting how stores have been built under the elevated expressway.




It's time to walk back to my apartment, where I am perfectly happy even if I am only on the fourth floor and have a view of nothing but the apartment building across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment