zocalo

zocalo

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The House of Handicrafts

If you have read this blog for a while, you know that I love Mexican handicrafts.  One of my favorite places to buy handicrafts is the FONART store.  FONART (National Fund for the Promotion of Crafts) is a government sponsored chain of stores which sell high quality handicrafts.  The largest and best of these stores is located a bit away from the typical tourist track, but, lucky for me, just a twenty-five-minute walk from my apartment.

Last week I paid another visit to the store.  The prices here are not cheap... but the quality is excellent, and the artisans are given a fair price for their work.  I am always able to find some reasonably priced items that I like.  Last week was no exception.  I ended up taking home two bags of purchases... things to give as gifts, some things for myself, and a couple things to tuck away until next Christmas.



  
 

The store still had quite a few Nativity scenes in a variety of styles.





A wide selection of pottery from different parts of the country










Exquisite lacquerware






Hand-embroidered clothing





I have a collection of jaguar figures, so this magnificent piece caught my eye.  It is much too large for the apartment, and I am sure it costs a king's ransom.  It didn't matter however, because there was a sticker on it saying that it was already sold.



Before I had left the store, workers were packing it up to send to its lucky owner.





No comments:

Post a Comment