zocalo

zocalo

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

More FONART

This morning I wrote about FONART, the chain of government sponsored shops selling high quality handicrafts.  This afternoon I took a long walk in Chapultepec Park, and I discovered that another FONART store recently opened in the park, close to "Los Pinos", the former Presidential compound that has been turned into a cultural center.  Of course, I had to take a look inside.



A mural at the entrance portrays artisans at work creating their crafts.



The store is nice and has many beautiful items, but I still prefer the store close to my apartment.










There were a couple of large clay figures of jaguars similar to the one I saw at the other store.


I managed to see the price tag on one of them.  It can be yours for around 18,000 pesos... a little over 1000 U.S. dollars.

2 comments:

  1. I visited this branch on my trip last spring. Found some handicrafts, but the prices were not so lovely.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granted, the prices are not cheap, but much of what is here is considered to be museum quality folk art. Plus, as I said previously, the artisans are getting a fair price for their work. If you were to go to a gallery in the U.S., you would pay an even higher price.

      Delete