zocalo

zocalo

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Success in the Kitchen

On Mondays I am usually at Alejandro's family's house, and I prepare something for dinner to give Alejandro and his sister a break from cooking.  Last Monday, I made something that I myself had not had in decades.  In fact, although it was a very popular dish when I was growing up, I doubt if the younger generations have ever heard of it.  I haven't seen it on restaurant menus for ages.  So, what did I make?  Chicken a la king.

For those of you who don't remember it, chicken a la king consists of cubed or shredded chicken and vegetables (I used peas, onions, mushrooms and red pimento) with a white sauce and served over rice.  It's not a low-calorie dish... the sauce is made with butter, heavy cream and chicken broth.

How would Alejandro and his family like this exotic dish from 1950's USA?



Everyone liked it!  I thought there might be enough leftovers for the next day, but they had second helpings and scarfed it all up.  Even Alejandro's dad, who doesn't eat that much, asked for seconds.  When I cook something new, I always ask Alejandro's nephew Ezra if I should make it again.  He emphatically answered "Sí", and everyone was in agreement.

A kitchen success!

No comments:

Post a Comment