zocalo

zocalo

Friday, January 19, 2024

At the World Trade Center

This week the World Trade Center in Mexico City held a home decor exposition.  



I went to this exposition previously when I was here last January.  Now that I am the owner of the apartment, I returned to see if there would be anything that I would want to buy for my new home.  I hoped that perhaps I might find a small credenza or shelf for the living room that I have been looking for.


I looked at the furniture displays, and there was nothing that was the right size or the right color.  I am simply going to have to have the piece custom made by a furniture maker.

A large portion of the exposition was devoted to decorative items.  A lot of the merchandise was gaudy or just downright ugly.


Someone who has more money than good taste could buy Cinderella's coach for only 39,000 pesos (over 2000 U.S. dollars).


I thought at first that it was only a display decoration.  But it had a price tag on it, and it was actually for sale.

There were a few booths featuring Mexican handicrafts.  These specially designed Day of the Dead "catrinas" and skeletons were tempting but a bit expensive for something I would only put out once a year.


Another booth sold handmade copperware from the town of Santa Clara del Cobre in the state of Michoacán.  I already have several pieces of copperware, but I saw a number of items here that caught my eye.


I finally decided on a large vase with a dark patina and a distinctive abstract shape.  It is now sitting in the living room of my apartment.



I didn't buy any furniture (and I certainly didn't buy Cinderella's coach), but I do have a nice addition to the decor of my apartment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment