zocalo

zocalo

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Lunch by the Lake

After my long walk into Chapultepec Park (around four miles), I decided it was time to take a break.  I knew that there was a restaurant next to one of the lakes in the park, and I soon found it.



The lake is full of waterfowl, and as I circled the lake to go to the restaurant, I saw a white heron.




I figured that it would fly away as I approached, but it must be used to humans.  I walked right by, and it never flew away.  As I continued on toward the restaurant, it then flew over to me as if to say, "Take some more pictures of me."



The restaurant is called "Del Bosque" (Of the Forest).  There were very few people there.  I suppose it doesn't get many customers on a weekday afternoon.




I had a table right next to the window with a view of the lake and all the passing ducks.







As a starter I had "poblano" pepper soup with garnishes of chopped "poblano", kernels of corn and cubes of cheese.



As a main course I had a fillet of grouper served Veracruz style... in a tomato sauce with olives, capers and peppers.


I generally like grouper, but this fillet was not as fresh as it should be.  It tasted rather fishy.


Since I had walked so far, I decided that I deserved dessert.  I ordered flan with vanilla ice cream.



My bill of 35 U.S. dollars was on the expensive side for Mexico, especially since the meal was not that great, and I didn't order any alcohol.  The view is lovely, and the service was good (I had a nice conversation with the waiter), but I don't think I will return.  At least I had a chance to recharge my batteries before the long walk back.



2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that heron was busy hunting which is why it wasn't bothered by you. Not catching anything would be its great egret. (Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! Yes, and after I passed by, and it flew toward me, I'm sure it was to see if the hunting was better in that part of the lake.

      Delete