zocalo

zocalo

Monday, January 8, 2024

A Taste of Yucatán

I have mentioned that I have two restaurants nearby that specialize in the cuisine of Yucatán.  A short walk up Insurgentes Avenue is Seis28, a very good restaurant that is slightly upscale.  Another place, Le-Lah-Tho, is about 15 minutes away in the neighboring "colonia" of San Pedro de los Pinos.  It's an unpretentious little place, but the food is good.

Last week on one of my walks, I decided to stop there to eat.

I started with the black bean and noodle soup.


  

Looking over the menu, I was intrigued by a chicken dish called "pollo motuleño".  "Huevos motuleños" is the best-known breakfast dish from Yucatán... eggs served on a tortilla covered with tomato sauce, peas, chopped ham, with fried plantains on the side.  I asked the waitress if the chicken dish was similar, and she said "Yes, with chicken instead of eggs."

I was expecting shredded chicken, but I got an entire leg and thigh.  There was a basket of piping hot, hand-made tortillas, with which I made tacos.


It was a very tasty meal... nothing fancy, just good home cooking Yucatán style.

No comments:

Post a Comment