zocalo

zocalo

Thursday, January 4, 2024

Not Starbucks

Just as in most cities in the world, you will find Starbucks everywhere in Mexico City.  There are two located just a short distance from my apartment.  However, the only time I go into a Starbucks is if I really need to go to the bathroom, and there is no other option.

Rather than patronize a huge multinational corporation, I prefer to go to one of several Mexican-owned chains that seem to be flourishing and giving Starbucks some competition.  I've already mentioned a number of times "Café La Parroquia", a chain of coffee shops that also serves light meals.  Their food is nothing special, but I enjoy their "café lechero" (similar to the French "café au lait")

Another chain, which has a branch in the World Trade Center, is "Café Punta del Cielo".  Alejandro and I have been there a couple of times after going to an exposition, and I have had a cup of Mexican hot chocolate.



Just across the street is "Cielito Querido Café".  I've been there a few times for hot chocolate and a pastry or sandwich.  Their coffee and chocolate are 100% from Mexican suppliers in the states of Oaxaca, Chiapas and Veracruz.  I'm not a big coffee drinker, but on a couple of occasions I have bought bags of coffee beans here to take back to my friend Frank in Ohio.  He said the coffee was very good.



There is another chain of Mexican coffee shops called "Tierra Garat".  It also advertises that its coffee comes exclusively from Oaxaca, Chiapas and Veracruz.  I had never been to one of their shops, but last week, on one of my walks to pick up my mail, I stopped at one in the Condesa neighborhood.


I ordered a hot chocolate flavored with orange and ginger.  It was a very interesting flavor, although I think I still prefer traditional hot chocolate.

There are other coffeehouse chains in Mexico City, as well as numerous independently owned shops.  So, if you visit Mexico City and crave a cup of coffee, you do not have to rely on Starbucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment