zocalo

zocalo

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

A Tasty Lunch

I wrote in my previous post that my visit to the Anthropology Museum was not as satisfying as it usually is.  However, my lunch afterwards at my favorite restaurant was as delicious as always.

I decided to walk from the museum back to the apartment, and my route took me very close to "Angelopolitano".  I had not been there since early November, so, I stopped for lunch.  Alejandro and I have been to the restaurant so many times that the waitress recognized me immediately and greeted me warmly.  "Are you on vacation?" she asked.  "No, I live here now," I answered.  "Well, you will have to come here more often.  Where is your friend?" she said, referring to Alejandro.  "He's working."

Because I am usually there with Alejandro, I had forgotten that they no longer have menus; you have to upload a QR code onto your smart phone.  I had never done that before.  Another employee helped me do that, but then the menu disappeared, and I was unable to get back to it.  The waitress, seeing my frustration, came over and started listing the items that they had.

Instead of soup as a starter, I ordered "fideo seco al chipotle"... noodles in chipotle sauce garnished with cream and cheese.  It is what is referred to as a "dry soup", a pasta or rice dish as opposed to a "wet soup" (what we would call "soup").


   

I wasn't in the mood for their signature dish, "chile en nogada", so instead I ordered "enmoladas".

I might have discussed this once before, but an "enmolada" is like an "enchilada" except that it is covered in "mole".  ("Angelopolitano" has some of the best "mole" in town.)  If it were covered in bean sauce, it would be called an "enfrijolada".  If you have ever had "enchiladas" in a Mexican restaurant in the U.S., and they had a tomato-based sauce, you were actually eating "entomatadas".   Strictly speaking, "enchiladas" have a sauce that is made from ground "chiles".

The meal as always was excellent!  Now if they would just bring back real menus!

No comments:

Post a Comment