from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Colorful Cuts

On my visit to the Cleveland Museum of Art last Thursday, I happened upon another special exhibit that I found interesting.  It featured the work of a German-American artist by the name of Gustave Bauman.  Bauman was a master of color woodblock printing.  In 2005 Bauman's daughter made a gift of sixty five of her father's woodcuts to the museum.

This series of prints shows what a tedious and time consuming process it was to create his color prints.  A separate woodblock would be carved for each color.  The colors were added one by one to create the finished picture.



Here are some of Bauman's prints which were on display...



Two views of the Grand Canyon




Flowering fruit trees
(In this print Bauman used a background of aluminum leaf for the sky.)




Aspen trees



Redwood trees



Atalaya Mountain in New Mexico looms over an adobe village.




Spring in New Mexico




The Mission of St. Xavier del Bac near Tuscon, Arizona

In my next post from the Cleveland Museum of Art, I will resume with the survey of the history of world art that I began last autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment