city at night

city at night

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Remembering María Luisa

It was three years ago today that Alejandro's mother, María Luisa, passed away.


 My favorite photo of her

María Luisa was a sweet, good-hearted person who welcomed me into the family.  She was also a strong woman who, as is so often the case in Mexican households, was the backbone of the family.

In January of 2018, just days before I was scheduled to leave for my winter trip to Mexico, Alejandro told me that his mom was gravely ill in the hospital.  Rather than stay in the condo that I rent in Mexico City, I spent most of my time at the family house.  Alejandro and his sister Sandra took turns being with their mother in the hospital twenty-four hours a day.  I tried to make myself useful by cooking, cleaning and helping Sandra's little son, Ezra, with his homework.  

Finally she was released from the hospital so that she could spend her last days at home.  I still get tears in my eyes when I remember the smile on her face when she saw me there.  At the end we were all gathered around her bed... Ezra crying next to his grandma, her husband Pedro grief-stricken, Alejandro reading verses from the Bible.  Later, after the funeral, Sandra gave me a big hug and thanked me for being a part of the family, and we both broke down in tears.

It was a sad, painful time, but I am so glad that I was there with my "Mexican family".

María Luisa, we miss you, and we remember you with love in our hearts. 

4 comments:

  1. This is a great picture and memory you shared about your familia in CDMX. I hope it gets better down there so you plan a return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a wonderful person, and I miss her, but in a way I am glad that she does not have to go through this terrible pandemic.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you were part of the family before, but being so fortunate to keep them company in those difficult times definitely made you become a true member of the family. Those are memories that are kept in the heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my Mexican family. I have not seen them since February of last year.

      Delete