from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Another Mexican Sauce

 I have already written here about making an authentic ENCHILADA SAUCE from dried "poblano" peppers (genuine enchilada sauce is never tomato-based!), and also the PEANUT SAUCE which is used in "pollo encacahuatado".

Earlier this week I made another trip to the Mexican supermarket in Cleveland, and a couple days later I made another batch of enchilada sauce to put in the freezer.  When I was finished I was wondering if I could find a recipe on the internet to make the sauce for "enfrijoladas".  "Enfrijoladas" are a variation of enchiladas, in which the tortillas, rolled around a filling, are covered with a bean sauce.  Of course, on the internet you can find most anything, and I soon found a recipe that was easy to make and that was made with ingredients that I already had at home.  Alejandro would probably turn his nose up at this recipe since it uses canned beans.  Real "frijoles" he insists must be made from dried beans, sorted, soaked, and cooked in a clay pot.  Well, that's too much work for me!


For my bean sauce, I used two cans of black beans, drained and rinsed, one half cup of chopped onion, some chopped garlic, oregano, and some canned "chipotle" peppers in "adobo" sauce.  The recipe called for one to three peppers... I used five.  Put everything in the blender and blend it into a smooth sauce.  Since I used low sodium beans I added salt to taste.  And that is all there is to it.   Now I have a batch of sauce in the freezer for when I want to make "enfrijoladas" instead of "enchiladas".  

No comments:

Post a Comment