city at night

city at night

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Hanging on the Wall

I have shown you a number of the paintings that I have done, especially my annual Christmas cards.  Here are a couple of much larger, more ambitious paintings that are hanging in my home.


I painted this view of Toledo, Spain, in 2008.  It measures 30 inches by 24 inches, and is hanging in living room.  It is based on a photo which I took on a trip to Spain a short time before.  I had climbed to the top of a church bell tower, and it provided an excellent view of the Cathedral  of Toledo with its soaring Gothic spire.  This is probably the most complex painting I have ever done.  I remember that each day I would set a goal of completing just a few square inches.



This landscape was done in 2010 and is even a bit larger.  It hangs in my computer room.  It is a painting of Misol Ha, a beautiful waterfall located in the tropical rainforest of the Mexican state of Chiapas, about twelve miles from the Mayan ruins of Palenque.  The cascade is about 185 feet high.  (You can see that I painted in the small figure of a human next to the falls to give some perspective of its height.)  It is possible to walk behind the waterfall and enter a cave.


I used to do much more painting than I do now.  I was a member of the Berea Fine Arts Club and participated in their art shows, and I sold a number of my paintings.  Then as traveling took up more of my time... up to five month of the year... painting took a back seat.  Now my yearly Christmas card is about all I do.

2 comments:

  1. Great work, especially of the roof tiles in Toledo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. Those roof tiles took a lot of time!

      Delete