city at night

city at night

Saturday, January 30, 2021

Salud!

I am not much of a drinker.  I don't like beer, and, even though I am an aficionado of Mexico, I can't stand the taste of tequila or mezcal.  However, there are two alcoholic beverages from Mexico that I really like.  One of them, one about which I have written on this blog, is x'tabentún (pronounce that "x" like an "sh"), a honey liqueur which is a specialty of the Yucatán.  Unfortunately it is difficult to find outside of the Yucatán, and even more difficult to find north of the border.  

The other drink that I like is rompope, which is Mexico's version of eggnog.  It is a mixture of egg yolk, milk, and sugar with cane alcohol.  According to tradition it was invented in a convent in Puebla, Mexico.  It is considered the type of beverage that little, old ladies' drink, but I don't care.  I like it!

The most common commercial brands of rompope are Santa Clara and Coronado.  I used to be able to buy Coronado at the Mexican supermarket here in Cleveland.  However for the longest time they have no longer carried it.  Then on a recent trip to the store, I saw that they had another brand of rompope that I had never heard of called "Hacienda Guanamé".  Of course I bought a bottle.


It is made in the  Mexican state of San Luis Potosí.  The label says that it has the "best flavour and taste" (interesting that they use the British spelling of flavor), and it does taste very good.  Last week I made another trip to the supermarket, and there were only a few bottles left on the shelf.  I bought two more, just in case they only import it for the holiday season.

Now, occasionally in the evening I will pour myself a small portion of the liqueur, and enjoy its smooth, creamy taste.

¡Salud!  


No comments:

Post a Comment