from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, January 14, 2021

A Mid-Winter Walk

Yesterday the sun came out and the temperature rose above 40F, so I decided to take a walk.  I searched Google Maps for a park that I had never visited.  In the Cleveland suburb of Brooklyn Heights I found one called Tuxedo Park, so I got in the car and headed east about twenty minutes.

This small park is not a part of the Cleveland Metroparks system, but is operated by the city of Brooklyn Heights.  It follows the course of West Creek, a stream which flows to the Cuyahoga River.  I followed the entire length of the path along the creek.  In some places it was paved; in others it was a muddy dirt trail.  As luck would have it, clouds rolled in and hid the sun much of the time that I was there.



The creek has formed a fairly sizeable ravine.



Although the last snowfall melted some time ago, there were still some icicles hanging from the cliffs.



There were quite a few trees uprooted in the park.  Perhaps it was the result of our early December snowstorm which left so many fallen trees and broken limbs in the area.



The creek bed appeared to be a solid sheet of rock.  In places where the rock descends a few feet there are some miniature cascades.









The park is nothing spectacular, and it is surely much more pleasant in the summer.  Nevertheless, it gave me an opportunity to get outside and see yet another one of the many parks that we have in the greater Cleveland area.

No comments:

Post a Comment